Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Momof2Still

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by Momof2Still »

Jackie- I am finding that with it just being me now for meals, the food goes a long way. I am also eating less since I am trying to let go of a few pounds. I used to say loose, but my friend says that if I just loose it, I may find it again, so I should let it go. He is a trip! I am not complaining, it certainly helps with the grocery budget. I may have to have a clean out the freezer week of meals due to the individual packed meals I tend to freeze when I get tired of eating something, or when there is a chance it will go bad before I eat it. I pack them and freeze them with the intention of taking them to work for lunch. I have enough left-overs from cooking during the week that I am not using the ones from the freezer. Oh well, it will be an easy week if I go that route.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Janet I’m afraid I can’t join your no spend challenge as we will no doubt be spending a lot more this year because of our travel plans. But we worked really hard to keep costs down in that area as well. Not staying in 5 star hotels, etc. Personally I find them a bit stuffy anyway.

But we spent less than expected this year and I did a lot of DIY. I was able to do all the lawn cutting and gardening while Dh was recovering from his dislocated shoulder. We managed to start repainting our huge deck. The painting itself isn’t that hard- it’s the preparation. We did some major tree trimming ourselves (surprised myself that I could actually do it- again during the time my Dh couldn’t) We did invest in the purchase of a reciprocating saw as I couldn’t manage with the hack saw. There were some huge branches and we don’t regret the purchase. Saw was bought on sale.

I continue to colour my own hair, only get a cut once a year. Dh cuts his own hair and also touches his up with colour, leaving a trace of grey. We’re both terrible being so vain!

Only eat out while on holiday. We invest in our health by working out vigorously and eating healthy. Don’t spend much on household items or clothing as we have all we need to live a comfortable life. We also have no debt.

I’m completely happy driving my 2001 Acura! Excellent mileage and no repairs aside from routine maintenance. Dh does the oil changes for both our cars and also rust checks both vehicles. He’s become very handy and installed a new toilet this year.

Rambled in enough- can’t think of much else.

Creative
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

You sound pretty frugal to me, MrsC.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Mrscreative wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 am Janet I’m afraid I can’t join your no spend challenge as we will no doubt be spending a lot more this year because of our travel plans. But we worked really hard to keep costs down in that area as well. Not staying in 5 star hotels, etc. Personally I find them a bit stuffy anyway.

But we spent less than expected this year and I did a lot of DIY. I was able to do all the lawn cutting and gardening while Dh was recovering from his dislocated shoulder. We managed to start repainting our huge deck. The painting itself isn’t that hard- it’s the preparation. We did some major tree trimming ourselves (surprised myself that I could actually do it- again during the time my Dh couldn’t) We did invest in the purchase of a reciprocating saw as I couldn’t manage with the hack saw. There were some huge branches and we don’t regret the purchase. Saw was bought on sale.

I continue to colour my own hair, only get a cut once a year. Dh cuts his own hair and also touches his up with colour, leaving a trace of grey. We’re both terrible being so vain!

Only eat out while on holiday. We invest in our health by working out vigorously and eating healthy. Don’t spend much on household items or clothing as we have all we need to live a comfortable life. We also have no debt.

I’m completely happy driving my 2001 Acura! Excellent mileage and no repairs aside from routine maintenance. Dh does the oil changes for both our cars and also rust checks both vehicles. He’s become very handy and installed a new toilet this year.

Rambled in enough- can’t think of much else.

Creative
Spending is ok on necessary things. I even have wants as well as needs.. I just rethink if something is a want or a need and many times it is a want so then I try not to spend. You do sound like you are making good choices and that is the main thing with the no spend challenge.. Sometimes not spending turns in to being a miserable miserly thing and that is not what I want to do.. Just being more mindful of how and where the money goes is part of the challenge. You are doing great. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 pm Jackie- I am finding that with it just being me now for meals, the food goes a long way. I am also eating less since I am trying to let go of a few pounds. I used to say loose, but my friend says that if I just loose it, I may find it again, so I should let it go. He is a trip! I am not complaining, it certainly helps with the grocery budget. I may have to have a clean out the freezer week of meals due to the individual packed meals I tend to freeze when I get tired of eating something, or when there is a chance it will go bad before I eat it. I pack them and freeze them with the intention of taking them to work for lunch. I have enough left-overs from cooking during the week that I am not using the ones from the freezer. Oh well, it will be an easy week if I go that route.
Momof2.. saying you are letting go of the pounds really is a good subliminal suggestion. The power of positive thinking. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Momof2Still wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:37 pm Good evening. The week went fairly well. I have been eating leftovers the last couple of days for all meals, so no money out for food (or anything else for that matter). I think this weekend will be a very low/no spend weekend. I have plenty of fresh foods left in the fridge to get through the upcoming week, so I am not going grocery shopping. I had a couple of meals planned for this past week that got moved to this coming week, which moves a couple that I had originally planned for this coming week will be moved to the following week.

It is cooler here, but certainly not as cold as some places. I definitely do not have to worry about snow. Even with leaving my bedroom window cracked, it is 72 degrees in the house- no heat needed. I have turned off most of the room fans, so saving money on the electric bill.

I am tutoring in the morning, so money coming in instead of going out. I have to wash all the animal bowls, scrape the cat boxes, and clean the rabbit cage and her litter box. Other than that, a little straightening here and there, and maybe a load of laundry and then tomorrow I am free to relax.

Well, off to read. I did develop a migraine yesterday, and my head was hurting bad enough it woke me up before 4:00 am so I am feeling tired now. My head feels much better and should be fine by tomorrow.
Sorry about the migraine. I have never had one but have had patients that were in such severe pain and nauseated.. Sad and scary that something like a headache could be that debilitating. I do hope you were able to get rid of it? Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama