Have you ever gotten rid of something only to regret it later?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Have you ever gotten rid of something only to regret it later?

Post by Quilter51 »

I have the general philosophy that if it is not mine, I dont get to throw it out. I can encourage other family members but that's it.

To answer your question, to many times to count, as someone else said. When I moved cross country, I Thought I was going from a house to an apartment or co do and let my expensive grill, yard care machinery and patio furniture all go. I'm now in a house and trust me, you CANNOT replace that stuff for what you sold it for.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

yea - unless the person had passed away or incapacitated in some way with no recovery in their future - I would never throw out their stuff. Keep your paws to yourself as they say

The COD has so much stuff that my recourse will eventually be to move out.

The other day he was complaining about how much it will cost to get rid of the stuff he bought. I look at him and think - why buy it in the first place. He is really nuts.
Liz50

Post by Liz50 »

Oh yes, I've done this many times.

Years ago we donated a treadmill, after it quickly became a dust collector.

A few years later wanted another treadmill, which quickly also became a dust collector, so it was donated, as well.

I've decluttered a few books over the years, only to want to reread them again, so purchased again.

I'm still tempted to repurchase things I've gotten rid of in the past, but I'm standing my ground and not going to do it.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Hardly ever.
delighted99

Post by delighted99 »

You're certainly not alone. I did that with a cast iron skillet. It was given to me as a gift, had never been used, and I didn't want to season it. It was just too much work. Then DS came along and I was overwhelmed. The mom's club I was in was having a garage sale for charity and off it went.

This is something that's in another vein.. I also feel this way about my prom dress that my mom bought for me weeks before prom. She went out and bought it without any kind of discussion prior. Now I think it was lovely and I wish I wore it instead of returning it and buying my own. I think at that age though I just needed to buy something for myself! Teenage independence thing.
NoisyPorkchop wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 pm When I first moved in with my husband (he was boyfriend at the time) there was 4 of us crammed in our tiny apartment (him, me, and his two daughters. And a German Shepherd - I guess that makes 5) so space was at a premium. He had a Food Saver vacuum sealer sitting unused up in the cupboard of the kitchen of this tiny apartment. We just never seemed to use it and it was taking up valuable real estate in a miserably tiny apartment kitchen. We still never used it, and after two years, I decided to get rid of it and donate it to the local Goodwill with the thinking that, well, if we haven't used it at all in two years we never will, and by golly I need the room in this kitchen.

Sure enough, not even a month after I donated it he decides he wants to FINALLY use it for something, and I have to sheepishly confess that I got rid of it because we never used it. Oh, I got to hear, "Do you know how much I PAID for it?!" and basically was chewed out for getting rid it. I have got to periodically listen to him give me grief over the last 5 years about how he wished he had that Food Saver vacuum sealer because he could have used it on (fill in the blank of whatever food item you would use it for) and I have to, once again, apologize for giving it to charity.

So, over the last week Hubby has made some home-made teriyaki jerky with our food dehydrator and has, yet again, given me grief over getting rid of the Food Saver. I have heard it twice in the last two days how it would have been SOOO NICE to have had the Food Saver because he would have been able to vacuum seal his jerky and been able to put it in the freezer for future use, BUT BECAUSE I got rid of it he frets that some of his jerky will go bad before we can eat it all.

Welllll, guess who had to just go down to the local BiMart and re-purchased a Food Saver vacuum sealer just to be spared the lectures from her spouse, and, that I realize I may need to use it too for some of my upcoming vegetable crop I plan on harvesting from my *new to me* garden this year. Please tell me I am not the only person out there who has unwittingly gotten rid of something they thought they didn't need, only to find out later it was a bad idea? In my case, I ended up re-purchasing the item. Am I the only one? :oops:
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Actually I can't think of anything. Of course there's been a few things that I have regretted buying but currently not too many.