Daily Check In January 17, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily Check In January 17, 2019

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Gearing up for the snow expected early tomorrow morning (about 1 to 3 inches). A little more concerned about the snow/ice (more the ice than the snow) expected Sunday. At least inclement weather isn't as stressful as it used to be.

I'll be taking out my bottles and cans this morning to the recycle dumpster. I normally do my wash on Friday, but I'll wait till early next week. No rush there either. I have clothes to carry me for more than a month if necessary.

Just finished making a bunch of salads and now boiling some eggs. If we should use electricity on Sunday, I have plenty of tuna, hard boiled eggs and peanut butter and jelly.

Working on the diet is so hard right now, especially since there isn't much room in a 1 bedroom apartment for exercising. Just like the little train, I think I can, I think I can, I know I can reach my goal this year.

My sister at times. She really doesn't communicate well and spends more time trying to think of what she's going to say than listening. I hadn't even brought up her new place this morning and she's telling me that no one is going to tell her how to fix it up. Duh! You would have thought I was trying to tell her she should put blinds in her sun porch instead of drapes which is what she wants to do because it was cheaper. I told her I wasn't going to tell her what she should do with her place . . . that that's totally up to her. I'm just thankful that she will have me as a guest rather than my having to stay at a hotel. And then there was something else she rattled on about where I had to tell her, I didn't say anything about it but that she was. Anyway, frustrating.

Well going to finish up the few light chores I have left to do today and then perhaps pull out my coloring page to work on.

Stay safe and be well. Have a great day.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am Janet, if you are able to get your car unstuck before the next snow, could you park it at the bottom of your driveway? I’m not sure if your driveway ends on a busy road or a local road, but another option might be to park it in front of your house on the street. This might not be possible with roadway snow removal rules.

My mom’s best friend in Massachusetts lived on a hill with a long driveway. When snow was predicted she parked in a pullout area on the local street in front of her house.
There is no where to park on the side of the road.. There is just a road and a ditch. The main thing is I do not need to get out. I was hoping to make ruts so that my aide could get in and out of my driveway. She can drive by and pick me up tomorrow and we can go shopping. I need more dog food for Teddi for the coming snow storms this week-end and next week. Also a few fresh things, like salad things, and more bird seed. I can get by ok with foods on hand if need be. Teddi can also eat what I have but it is healthier for him to eat food made for dogs. I will be ok.. I do not mind being snowed in. In fact I love the idea. When I was working it was always a something I wanted to do was to stay home, cozy in my house, watching the snow and now I can. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
NoisyPorkchop

Post by NoisyPorkchop »

Good morning,
It had been decent weather-wise for the last few days, even enjoyed a sunny but chilly day last week. The weatherman predicted rain to roll in over a day ago but it was slow coming and finally showed up yesterday evening. Now it is predicted to rain off and on for the next week. Chilly, rainy and grey. Typical Pacific Northwest weather.

I have had to *temporarily* put my two-a-week meatless meals on hold. DH is definitely on to me :roll: . The last couple of meatless meals didn't turn out that great and Hubs could definitely tell there was something lacking in the meals. Ate his 'courtesy' bowl of it and won't touch it again afterwards. Darn it, I think it is because it doesn't have that "mouth feel" that a meal with meat contains. I heard Guy Fieri use that phrase on his cooking show when he was taking a bite of a portabella mushroom burger. He said it had good "mouth feel" for a meatless burger. Well, mine are lacking that and I think I am going to have to lay low on trying any more on him. Yesterday afternoon he asked me, "Isn't there any more steak in the freezer?" as he began rummaging around in it until he found the last package hiding down in the bottom. We had steak and potatoes and salad for dinner last night. The only dinner I can successfully pull off is a meatless nacho dish that has kidney beans, refried beans, seasonings and tomatoes, lots of cheese, etc., and he doesn't notice the missing beef. I am not sure what to do, Hubs is a meat eater, and I am trying to stretch our budget further by skipping a day of meats, not to mention it is better for you to not eat so much animal protein. I will have to regroup and try again in another few weeks.

I have been baking up a storm. Really feeling the winter nesting and hibernating urge! Baked some brownies and made a few homemade cookies to tuck in DH's lunches for a little snack. I have worked on my dinner menu for the week and am caught up on the budget and tidied up the house. I still have some shredding to do, plan on tackling that next week. I continue to stay focused on gratitude and looking around at all the things I have in life and count my blessings. Life is good. Take care everyone and frugal on!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

It was after ten when I got up! A new record for me in my old age.

The boys didn't even want to go out.

I did stay up until after midnight texting with my crazy MIL friend. Poor thing has to go work today. I hope she made it.

The woman has been basically kicked out of her homes by her two sons. Well, she did it to herself by trying to help them, but still. She spends the weekends with a sibling and last night with a friend so she won't be in their way. She says she will do anything for her kids, but they do not seem to reciprocate. But then I don't know their side. And she is still going on about her loser boyfriend.

Catfish girl is now taking off on Tuesday instead of Saturday - hmmmm

Kind of overcast but not terribly cold. It is going to get up to 70 or so and then get very chilly on Saturday. We shall see.

Hope all have a great day
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Back home, still frustrated and waiting for more news. I more than likely have another month or so to wait for the use of one piece of equipment. However no one seems too concerned (of course not, it isn't their bodies being invaded by perhaps an evil alien being) and at this point in time, well I guess I will take what comfort I can.

The last series of tests will lead to either biopsy and removal, or being told that things are good and I just need to have someone keep an eye on this. Means subjecting myself to more poking and prodding every 6 months, but at least I would have answers.

This however trumps our Greek land and Aegean Sea cruise for at least a bit. May just hold off booking that for a month or so.

Really it's the not knowing that drives me insane!! But enough of my troubles.

I hope that all of you who have been snowed or iced in are doing fine. Nothing like winter to cause driving problems and getting stuck inside. Embrace it and curl up with a good book, needlework, or just watching the snow fall out your window. As a person from the great white north, there really isn't much else you can do. Once the snow stops, you get to shovel your way out.

We tried to keep spending to a minimum while gone and succeeded for the most part.As Floridacat says, hotels are expensive here in Canada. I did join the rewards program as this is the hotel we usually stay at and if we have more overnight stays, well we could soon get a free room for the night. Definitely a possibility.

Today I will be heading out shopping, the list is small so the expenditure should be reasonable (notice I say reasonable...with costs rising almost daily you never know). I will keep the payments as low as possible however. Yellow fin tuna will probably be my biggest purchase (more fish with good oils for me)

Frugally, I will be back to using up, wearing out (clothes are getting a bit large, which eventually will lead to either refashioning, or replacement), and just plain making do (in this house that is not a problem at all).

This afternoon I hope to add to the temperature blanket, and continue the quest to hand quilt around all those butterflies. Then since I found the cream coloured fabric, I plan on cutting those 2" strips for binding at some point. May as well get as much done as possible so once the hand quilting is completed I can start the machine quilting and get this 4 year project completed (been very scared of it).

Tonight I should be able to complete the second fingerless mitt that I started. I hope tomorrow to be able to cast on with the lovely blue dyed alpaca youngest DS gifted me.

Supper tonight will be leftover roast beef made into a stir fry (need veggies from the crisper gone). I think served over brown rice.

Today I am grateful to be home and in my own bed. Got a wonderful sleep last night.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, What did I miss? They couldn't complete your tests?
I so agree with you that the not knowing is the worst.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

NoisyPorkchop wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 am Good morning,
It had been decent weather-wise for the last few days, even enjoyed a sunny but chilly day last week. The weatherman predicted rain to roll in over a day ago but it was slow coming and finally showed up yesterday evening. Now it is predicted to rain off and on for the next week. Chilly, rainy and grey. Typical Pacific Northwest weather.

I have had to *temporarily* put my two-a-week meatless meals on hold. DH is definitely on to me :roll: . The last couple of meatless meals didn't turn out that great and Hubs could definitely tell there was something lacking in the meals. Ate his 'courtesy' bowl of it and won't touch it again afterwards. Darn it, I think it is because it doesn't have that "mouth feel" that a meal with meat contains. I heard Guy Fieri use that phrase on his cooking show when he was taking a bite of a portabella mushroom burger. He said it had good "mouth feel" for a meatless burger. Well, mine are lacking that and I think I am going to have to lay low on trying any more on him. Yesterday afternoon he asked me, "Isn't there any more steak in the freezer?" as he began rummaging around in it until he found the last package hiding down in the bottom. We had steak and potatoes and salad for dinner last night. The only dinner I can successfully pull off is a meatless nacho dish that has kidney beans, refried beans, seasonings and tomatoes, lots of cheese, etc., and he doesn't notice the missing beef. I am not sure what to do, Hubs is a meat eater, and I am trying to stretch our budget further by skipping a day of meats, not to mention it is better for you to not eat so much animal protein. I will have to regroup and try again in another few weeks.

I have been baking up a storm. Really feeling the winter nesting and hibernating urge! Baked some brownies and made a few homemade cookies to tuck in DH's lunches for a little snack. I have worked on my dinner menu for the week and am caught up on the budget and tidied up the house. I still have some shredding to do, plan on tackling that next week. I continue to stay focused on gratitude and looking around at all the things I have in life and count my blessings. Life is good. Take care everyone and frugal on!
Pork chop..If your husband is Type O blood he is a meat eater and he needs it to survive. I am Type A and can thrive on being a vegetarian with the occasional meat.. Sometimes economics do not meet body needs.
I use to be a vegetarian but my Dr( neurologist) and nutritionist both insisted I needed to eat meat due to my neurological disease. I eat meat maybe once a day but can go without for days and do just fine. My Dad was type O and he had to eat meat.. My Mom and I both A's and tend towards being vegetarian.. I was really in to being a vegetarian and read a lot of books. One woman, who was a well known authority on veganism and her husband was a vegan chef, said she looked at her husband one day and he looked so sick. She questioned him on what was he feeling and she said he felt like he wanted to eat a big steak. She said, well then eat it. He felt better..He does follow a vegan/vegetarian diet but when he feels the need he will eat meat. I sort of do the same thing. I am trying to follow a ketogenic diet but had problems with all of the protein but now doing better just eating more plant based meals with a little bit of meat thrown in. Can you make meals for him that are meat based and then do your own? A friend of mine makes her food the same up to a point then when it comes to portions she adds meat to her family's portion but leaves the meat out of her portion. More work but maybe it would work? Just an idea. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama