So if you were to build a new home.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
icfrugal1

So if you were to build a new home.

Post by icfrugal1 »

I know that many of you already have and it's something that I will never do, but just for fun.

I would want a nice laundry room, washer, dryer, room to hang clothes, I'm kind of strange, I like to hang my clothes on hangers to dry, not sheets and towels of course.

Easy to clean surfaces, not granite, because the odds of me treating it 2 times a year are none. ;) My rental has Ceaser stone, easy to take care of.

I don't know if I would do this, but I heard of one person who did, or maybe was thinking of, having 2 dishwashers, one with the clean dishes and as you use the dishes you put the dirty ones in the other dish washer . that would cut down on cupboards.

A gas range, with a bread proofer.

I need to think of more,

Any ideas to share?

IC
littlemiss63

Re: So if you were to build a new home.

Post by littlemiss63 »

I have absolutely no desire at my age to build a new home, love the one I'm in except my utility room is outside at the end of my two car garage. Builders in the South do that all the time, but I swore by this winter I would take a closet inside and have a washer/dryer inside my house, but it hasn't happened. The young man that I use for handy work seems to have more work than he can possibly do and has been slow about getting to me. I have four closets in my master bedroom and one of them is eventually going to be converted. I am the same way, I like to hang my clothes up to dry and there will definitely be a space allocated for that.

I am not a granite fan either and love my formica that I chose for my white kitchen, it's a gray and white marble looking pattern and I have been very happy with it. I have double self-cleaning ovens and a 36" black smooth top cooking unit that I love. I clean it after every cooking session and it looks as good as it did the day they installed it. I have a neighbor that has two dishwashers and 5 children so she gets a lot of use out of hers. For myself, I never considered that. However, I will say that even being single I would hate to ever be without a dishwasher. I don't use it as much as when DH was alive, but when I have company or just don't feel like doing dishes it's wonderful to have somewhere to "hide" them. LOL That is what my Mother always said about them. She thought the dishes should be done the minute you finished your meal, and you can't do that living alone without wasting a lot of water and cleaner. I have a Kitchen Aid dishwasher and when it needs replacing it will be another one. It's the best dishwasher I have ever owned, the most expensive one too, but I firmly believe that it has been a bargain. Quiet, service call free, and it will soon be 20 years old. I paid $800.00 for it, but it's been worth every dime.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Although for the most part I really like my townhouse, if I were to build a home it would be one story. I’d want three bedrooms (I now have two) so that I could have my bedroom, a guest room and an office. For the office I’d want white built-in bookcases with cabinets on the bottom and a French door. Love, love, love French doors. (My good friend and her DH bought a new home about a year ago and her DH’s office is as I’ve described and is my favorite room in her whole house.)

Not being a big cook, my needs are more aesthetic. I’d prefer white or light maple cabinets with white countertops made of Formica, Corian or some sort of stone but not granite. White appliances because I’m not a big fan of stainless.

I agree that a nice laundry room is important. My current laundry room is large and right off the kitchen but has a major eyesore with the water heater on a platform above the dryer.

I’d have a lawn with no weeds! And throwing caution to the wind I’d have a pool even though they are a pain to care for particularly if there is a leak.
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

A butler's pantry.

It's a room off the kitchen, often long and kind of narrow, with tallll cabinets, shelves, and counter space, and a sink, and a nice tall window with lots of light.

I'd keep the extra dishes, cookware, baking pans, small appliances, linens, and extra dry and canned foods, there. The space would be great for organizing your stuff for baking projects and holiday dinners, canning, etc, so everything isn't piled up in the kitchen, on the table, etc.

This would help keep the kitchen cabinets from getting packed with stuff that doesn't need to be there, or stored in the basement, garage, and such. The kitchen would be nice and uncluttered. (Ha, sure, Jodi)

Maybe I'd have an upright freezer in there, too.
ohjodi
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I actually have a butlers pantry between the kitchen and the garage. It does not have a sink but has everything else. The counter tends to be a catchall for this and that so it is a constant battle keeping it decluttered. So I'm not sure if it would help with the clutter problem. Oh I have a chest freezer in there too. I love this room!

Bev
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Wow - I love dreaming. Hope to try & make this not too long and rambling. I would have colonial style again(shocked?) a first floor master bedroom and a fourth bedroom to make into a sewing room. I would have crown molding in every room and a fireplace that did not have a raised hearth and looked like they used to build the old ones even with the floor. I would have wide plank flooring throughout.

I would have a laundry room that no one could walk through with enough room for sorting bins and hanging space and an ironing board. I would have a dish closet or butlers pantry with lots of dish storage. I would have a basement with a large dumb waiter or an elevator to bring things up and down easily.

I would have a full height refrigerator with no freezer and a full size freezer in the pantry. I would have an undercounted ice machine. I would have an a La Canache range with double ovens. I would stick with granite as I love it. I would have a pot filler faucet over the stove. I would have huge linen closet.

One thing I definitely would have - would be four plug in outlets every 5 feet on every wall and an outlet under each window for candles. I would have led ceiling fixtures recessed in the ceiling of every room on dimmers and switches would operate the lamps in the room, not the ceiling lights and in the bedroom there would be 3 way switches by the beds. Things I have now that I would repeat are a garage heater and a whole house generator.

OK - I'll quit - I could probably do 5 more paragraphs. I will never get to build a house, but it has always been my dream.