Walk in tubs ???

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ownedbydogs

Re: Walk in tubs ???

Post by ownedbydogs »

littlemiss63 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:44 pm IC Frugal,

I had done some research on them before DH passed away and backed out because I thought they were to expensive. Like Gayle says the people that I know that have them say they have a tendency to leak. I found it was much cheaper to remodel and have a new shower put in that didn't require a step in at all. We then were able to put in a chair that you could sit down in. Many people have them redone so they are large enough to roll a wheelchair in, one of my friends has that.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeown ... -cost.html
we Had our tub/ shower taken out 3 yrs ago and went with shower only. Now we are in process of taking the other tub out and installing a larger shower in the other bathroom for daughter. It will double as a handicapped bathroom if we need one. It will have a shower chair. The only time I miss a tub is when the dogs need a bath. We never used the tubs for ourselves.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

ownedbydogs wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:23 pm we Had our tub/ shower taken out 3 yrs ago and went with shower only. Now we are in process of taking the other tub out and installing a larger shower in the other bathroom for daughter. It will double as a handicapped bathroom if we need one. It will have a shower chair. The only time I miss a tub is when the dogs need a bath. We never used the tubs for ourselves.
My second bathroom has a tub and shower and the only time it's ever used is when I have company and we have lived in the house (38 years). In my earlier year I have gotten into for a nice soak, but I prefer the shower too as I wash my hair so much.
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

LOL I can't be the only one who takes a bath and not a shower :roll: :lol: :o

IC
lennon05

Post by lennon05 »

I just don't feel as clean when I take a bath. My husband rarely takes baths either. We are planning to build a house in the next year or two and we plan to install an extra large shower.

My aunt does have a walk in tub. Her husband has a condition similar to ms and frequently falls. She loves it and has not mentioned it leaking. I do know it takes a lot of power to heat it. One man got one for his wife and they had to get a larger water heater.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 pm LOL I can't be the only one who takes a bath and not a shower :roll: :lol: :o

IC
I take baths, when I shower I seem to get water all over the place. Hubby likes showers except when he is achy, then a good soak using Epson salts seems to perk him up.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

I take showers. I'm early 70s and getting in and out of a tub is not easy any more so there isn't any way that I'll tub bathe again. I'll sponge bath before I do that. My dad did sponge baths all his life and there was never an odor issue and my mom started doing it when she didn't feel comfortable getting in and out of the tub any longer. I also agree that I feel cleaner with a shower rather than sitting in the water after you've bathed in it.

When I had my bathroom redone last year, I had wanted to put in just a shower, but because I own a 1 bedroom/1 bath co-op, converting it to a shower only would have made it a bit more difficult to sell. I have asked for a quote on converting it to a shower only out of curiosity, but have not heard back from the contractor yet. I might in another 10 years if I'm still here have it done if the stock market stays good.