Daily Check In May 18, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
BevMoore

Re: Daily Check In May 18, 2019

Post by BevMoore »

Good morning,
Just finished a whirlwind of three days with company and whatnot. My son had his graduation ceremony from college yesterday so he now has his BA degree in hand. And kudos to him for doing it his way and as result did not incur any student loan debt whatsoever. He is 33 but has worked the whole time he has gone to school. It took longer and he is older than a lot of his fellow grads but he was able to get through by getting grants for being low income (since he is over 23), working and living at home. My family cane to visit and go to the graduation. We went out to eat afterwards. It was a fun three days but did not eat right a good part of the time so I am laying low today. Company departed early this morning. I guess eating French fries and a pizooki are not wise choices especially if you never eat them . :lol:

Since my innards are protesting the dietary abuse on my body I am staying in pajamas and relaxing today. It is supposed to rain all day today. We got lucky in that it did not rain on graduation day. It rained all day Thursday and will do the same today. I have a lot of reading to catch up on so that will be my day today. And being uber-frugal the next couple of months to pay for the dinner party (well worth it!)

Bev
rinty

Post by rinty »

((((hugs)))) Mackie, your financial advisor wants a different lifestyle for you ! Sorry to hear about your tax bill, no fair. Hope work is getting better for you, though ? You are being very kind re that poor man.

Came online after TO DOing all afternoon to chill out and read a Facebook message Oldest DD posted that had me in hysterics :D

Isn't it GREAT when they are going thru what they put us through as they were growing up ? :D :D :D

( I don't mean stealing cars, obviously , just the slightly overwhelming moments of motherhood that you feel belong in a sit-com rather than REAL LIFE )

Off to turn yellow sticker pork steaks into some form of stir fry.

Still haven't managed to get Tom into a shop for new clothes, its Sunday tomorrow but NEEDS MUST so we'll be shopping tomorrow if I have to drag him there ( could happen) NO point buying something unseen, he literally would never wear it..........
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Still overcast and muggy

Still feeling blah

But i am trying to get things done (cleaning). I do one thing at the top of the hour. Heck better than nothing

Hope i get my mojo back one day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good afternoon all.

Bev, a big Congrats to your son! It takes dedication to stick with education over many years.

Mackie, don’t listen to the financial advisor. Keep doing what you are doing. A few different low-cost mutual funds for investments - U.S. stocks, bonds and international stocks (I like Vanguard) plus a good amount of cash in cds. I have never had a financial advisor. I’m sure they would have told me to keep working when I retired almost 10 years ago.

Rinty, with the getaways and outings you do SO much to make Tom’s life better - not to mention all the paperwork and vocalizing you do to get the him the life he deserves. You amaze me. (I might consider a Premier Inn on my next trip to London. Good reviews and some $$ savings.)

I’m home from genealogy club which is held at a library about 7-8 miles away. After the meeting I picked up a dvd I had looked up online, That Touch of Mink, the film I associate with Doris Day. I’ll return it when I go to a French genealogy workshop on Friday but the library person said I can return it to my own library if that is more convenient. Good to know.

I stopped at Aldi on the way home. California oranges at $1.99/bag. I bought two bags. Also bought some organic peanut butter to try. Last week I made a “price book” a la Tightwad Gazette in my Notes app to keep better track of prices at Aldi and Publix.

My Pippi loves an item I’ve mentioned before called scratching curls. I call them roundabouts. She demolishes them and her most recent one has fibers falling out everywhere. They are being made cheaper and cheaper. I ordered a different brand and it arrived today. So far she is more interested in the box. About 2-3 weeks ago I bought a salad at the McDonalds drive through. They gave it to me in a paper bag like a grocery bag but with handles. I cut off the handles and cut a hole in the bottom just barely big enough for her to get through. It is on the floor and she runs through it, sits in it and wants me to play with a ribbon with her in it. Try to catch the ribbon. The bag was mom’s idea years ago but I haven’t given her one in a long time. Like a child she seems most attracted to mundane playthings. Lots of fun.

Speaking of cats, the book I’m reading is Dewey, The Small Town Library Cat Who Touched the World. A friend gave me the book a long while ago but I for some reason never read it even though I love cats and libraries. So it is the “book from my bookshelf” for Randa’s reading challenge. It is VERY cute and heartwarming so far.

Have a good day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 pm Still overcast and muggy

Still feeling blah

But i am trying to get things done (cleaning). I do one thing at the top of the hour. Heck better than nothing

Hope i get my mojo back one day.
Clem, tell me to mind my own business if I’m being too personal.

But are you still taking the med you were taking awhile ago, began with letter c but I can’t recall the name? I think it was a slight antidepressant. Maybe think about starting it again. I’m thinking of talking with my doctor at the end of this month about something similar. (((Hugs)))
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

Cloudy once again and still awfully cool. The temperature dipped below freezing point last night so planting the garden is still out of the question. I sure hope it warms up soon but below average temperatures are predicted for all of next week as well. The high for today is supposed to reach 10 degrees C or around 50.

This morning dh and I went for our jog in the neighbourhood. That's one good thing about the cool weather as it can be quite taxing in the heat. I'll be staying home all day today and just finished making a huge pot of potato-leek soup for dinner. Dh is going to rotisserie a whole chicken for himself and dd for dinner. My vegetable sides are still up in the air but I have plenty of things to choose from. I just did a grocery shop yesterday and nearly keeled over with the increase in prices, especially on fresh produce. Celery is now $5.98/bunch and that's not even organic! It's a staple for me though in a lot of cooking so nothing else but to pony up and pay for it. :roll: :roll:

Laundry is going and I finished reading my library book early this morning. I plan to look through a cookbook I borrowed from the library for inspiration - Dinner Illustrated. The meals are supposed to be ready in one hour or less so it shouldn't be anything too complicated. This cookbook was highly recommended from a blog that I follow, so we shall see.

If I'm feeling ambitious I really should go and colour my hair. It is so long overdue, it's not funny but I hate doing a full colour. I try to get away with the root touch-ups for as long as possible.

Creative