Daily Check In May 18, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In May 18, 2019

Post by Jackielou »

Update

Youngest DS got home at about 1 pm.

I managed to sandwich two of the quilts this afternoon. Now I am putting pretty colour onto the pattern binders. A wonderful day of slowly getting things completed.

Go to get supper on the table. Hope to get back on later and update a couple of challenges.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:42 pm Clem, I have been AWOL from here a few days and just now read about your pup. Poor little guy. Sometimes little dogs think they are big enough to take on anything and get hurt like that.

In addition to my regular job, I got assigned as team leader -- of a team of myself alone -- to look after a formerly homeless man who has moved into a shelter and is now in the hospital. He picked up a hospital acquired infection after a lung biopsy and, since he is alone in the world, I have been visiting him daily and basically harassing a prissy little doctor into actually treatng the poor soul. I was about ready to yank Dr. Prissy up by his fancy tie when he tried to pass off "near comatose with a roaring fever" as being depressed. To quote Bruce Banner, you won't like me when I'm angry, so it worked.

The patient is doing better, but I do not expect him to get out of the hospital this week.This means some more long days for me, as I go by after work and spend a good hour and a half there.

Other than that, DH and I are dealing with the extreme belt tightening that followed paying a whopping tax bill. We had a phone conference with our financial advisor at USAA yesterday, which always plunges me into despair because they think we have not saved enough, but they can't factor in how we bought a low maintenance house in a low property tax area and all the zillions of frugal tricks we do. I think they expect people to spend like they are still working once they retire, but that will not be the case.

It is a beautiful sunny day here and I need to do laundry and go grocery shopping. That will be about it for the day.
Mackie you are such a blessing to this man.. You have been that way with others too.Good that he has an advocate like you in his corner.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

BevMoore wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:19 pm Good morning,
Just finished a whirlwind of three days with company and whatnot. My son had his graduation ceremony from college yesterday so he now has his BA degree in hand. And kudos to him for doing it his way and as result did not incur any student loan debt whatsoever. He is 33 but has worked the whole time he has gone to school. It took longer and he is older than a lot of his fellow grads but he was able to get through by getting grants for being low income (since he is over 23), working and living at home. My family cane to visit and go to the graduation. We went out to eat afterwards. It was a fun three days but did not eat right a good part of the time so I am laying low today. Company departed early this morning. I guess eating French fries and a pizooki are not wise choices especially if you never eat them . :lol:

Since my innards are protesting the dietary abuse on my body I am staying in pajamas and relaxing today. It is supposed to rain all day today. We got lucky in that it did not rain on graduation day. It rained all day Thursday and will do the same today. I have a lot of reading to catch up on so that will be my day today. And being uber-frugal the next couple of months to pay for the dinner party (well worth it!)

Bev
Bev congrats to your DS on his graduation. I am sure the graduation party was worth the expense and good that family could come too.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We are expecting sever storms this evening. I did go out today to pick up a few food items. I went to Big Lots hoping to buy a couple of packages of Dal but they were out. However they did have several different kinds of curry in ready to eat packets. I wanted a few on hand in case the power goes down. I also drop off recyclables at the county recycling bin. I tried to find dog food for Teddi. He is really picky and Petco has been out of fresh dog food. I stopped by again today and they still do not have any so will have to find another store to shop. I did pick up another rotisserie chicken for him. It is much cheaper than his dog food but really he needs a more balance diet. If I try to add carrots or green beans he will eat around them or spit them out. I am thinking of putting everything in a blender where he cannot taste them and does not have a choice.

I an still doing a ton of laundry. I am all caught up if the power goes down.

Have a good evening.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:02 pm Mackie you are such a blessing to this man.. You have been that way with others too.Good that he has an advocate like you in his corner.
Isn't she a wonderful person!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Alliesmama

Teddi doesn't like carrots. My dogs love the "baby" carrots. I buy them when they are on sale.

I've been feeding my invalid dog canned chicken. The vet said i could boil my own chicken or just use canned. Mix it with white rice. He gobbles it up.