Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by SandiSAHM »

12 of 29. 41%

We are being DELUGED, and it's set to be that way for HOURS. What is the last thing Oklahoma needs right now? Yup. Rain.

Deck building is suspended. DH has nothing to do. He's even between semesters. Ever been with a bored energetic engineering type? They get antsy. I keep finding projects, he keeps doing them super fast and asking if I've got anything else. I'm about to put him on prepping and cooking dinner :lol:

I'm working, between the power and internet going in and out.

Stay dry!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 1:03 pm 12 of 29. 41%

We are being DELUGED, and it's set to be that way for HOURS. What is the last thing Oklahoma needs right now? Yup. Rain.

Deck building is suspended. DH has nothing to do. He's even between semesters. Ever been with a bored energetic engineering type? They get antsy. I keep finding projects, he keeps doing them super fast and asking if I've got anything else. I'm about to put him on prepping and cooking dinner :lol:

I'm working, between the power and internet going in and out.

Stay dry!
Sandi I feel sorry for what you are dealing with. My Dad was not an engineer but he always had to have a project going.I think that is why he lived to 81. If he did not have one he invented one.He retired early at 57. He did not want to be one of those people who dropped dead the day after they retired. Which is just about what happened to his older brother. Anyway he had a house on a lake that the went to every summer. He had someone build the shell and then all summer long her would work on building the interior and once that was done he worked outside more. Finally he had nothing more to do so he decided the hill behind he house would be better in the front of the house...lol. So all summer long he worked digging out the hill and moving it to the front.. It was like a regular job. He would stop for meals and snacks and then back to working.Good luck when your DH retires...lol.
Sorry about all of the rain. I do hope you will continue to be safe from the flooding and the storms.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 4:41 pm Sandi I feel sorry for what you are dealing with. My Dad was not an engineer but he always had to have a project going.I think that is why he lived to 81. If he did not have one he invented one.He retired early at 57. He did not want to be one of those people who dropped dead the day after they retired. Which is just about what happened to his older brother. Anyway he had a house on a lake that the went to every summer. He had someone build the shell and then all summer long her would work on building the interior and once that was done he worked outside more. Finally he had nothing more to do so he decided the hill behind he house would be better in the front of the house...lol. So all summer long he worked digging out the hill and moving it to the front.. It was like a regular job. He would stop for meals and snacks and then back to working.Good luck when your DH retires...lol.
Sorry about all of the rain. I do hope you will continue to be safe from the flooding and the storms.
Sounds like your Dad was a fun guy. Mine also died at 81 after more than a quarter century in military service and two subsequent civilian jobs. Mom says it was 'real' retirement, after the last job, that killed him.

In reality it was the cigarettes that killed him. If he hadn't smoked for nearly 7 decades he'd probably still be around, which is pretty wild (he'd be 89).

Ah, but DH has a retirement plan - he's going to volunteer for our church, in the larger sense not just the local group, contributing to church-building teams wherever they need someone with a bit of technical knowledge. It'll combine his love of travel, group projects, DIY, and sometimes of camping, depending on where they're building. I may or may not be around or be mobile, I'm a decade older than he is and he's got a good 25 years of 'real' work ahead of him. I'll be almost 80. What I'm good for, though, if my brain and eyesight hold out long enough, is helping with the planning and logistics of his projects. :lol: Good thing about being just the logistics person is I get to stay in air-conditioned bug-free comfort.

We're supposed to have 2 decent days after this, of no rain. I wish I believed it, but I don't.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:38 pm Sounds like your Dad was a fun guy. Mine also died at 81 after more than a quarter century in military service and two subsequent civilian jobs. Mom says it was 'real' retirement, after the last job, that killed him.

In reality it was the cigarettes that killed him. If he hadn't smoked for nearly 7 decades he'd probably still be around, which is pretty wild (he'd be 89).

Ah, but DH has a retirement plan - he's going to volunteer for our church, in the larger sense not just the local group, contributing to church-building teams wherever they need someone with a bit of technical knowledge. It'll combine his love of travel, group projects, DIY, and sometimes of camping, depending on where they're building. I may or may not be around or be mobile, I'm a decade older than he is and he's got a good 25 years of 'real' work ahead of him. I'll be almost 80. What I'm good for, though, if my brain and eyesight hold out long enough, is helping with the planning and logistics of his projects. :lol: Good thing about being just the logistics person is I get to stay in air-conditioned bug-free comfort.

We're supposed to have 2 decent days after this, of no rain. I wish I believed it, but I don't.
Sandi I felt the same way about my parents if they had not been smokers they would have been here a lot longer. They did stop in their late 50's but by then a lot of damage had been done.

The husband of one of my nieces owns his own construction company. At least once a year he goes to Guatemala to help build schools and other things. Once it was a small hospital. One year they took all of their children (5 ) with them. They wanted the kids to see how other people live and to understand how some people are so very poor and need help. He went to Haiti twice after they had their earthquake. He said they had very poor rebuilding planning and it was so sad.

Glad your DH has found a good plan of what he wants to do when he retires.It is wonderful to be able to contribute like he plans on doing. Also glad you will be able to stay in the A/C. I love being out in the country but love my A/C too...lol.

I hope you are able to have a few good days.. Right now our second storm of the day is moving in.

I once engaged to a man who was 11 years younger than me. I broke it off because I thought the age difference was too much. I thought in a few years I will be an old lady and he will still be a young man. Well here I am 74 and not doing too bad with all of my problems and he is in his 60's. He totally accepted all of my medical problems and just wanted to take care of me. He never did marry anyone else. He was a good man and I think I passed up a good thing. But that is hindsight. Thunder getting closer so need to sign off..

Hope you have those few nice days.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm Sandi I felt the same way about my parents if they had not been smokers they would have been here a lot longer. They did stop in their late 50's but by then a lot of damage had been done.

The husband of one of my nieces owns his own construction company. At least once a year he goes to Guatemala to help build schools and other things. Once it was a small hospital. One year they took all of their children (5 ) with them. They wanted the kids to see how other people live and to understand how some people are so very poor and need help. He went to Haiti twice after they had their earthquake. He said they had very poor rebuilding planning and it was so sad.

Glad your DH has found a good plan of what he wants to do when he retires.It is wonderful to be able to contribute like he plans on doing. Also glad you will be able to stay in the A/C. I love being out in the country but love my A/C too...lol.

I hope you are able to have a few good days.. Right now our second storm of the day is moving in.

I once engaged to a man who was 11 years younger than me. I broke it off because I thought the age difference was too much. I thought in a few years I will be an old lady and he will still be a young man. Well here I am 74 and not doing too bad with all of my problems and he is in his 60's. He totally accepted all of my medical problems and just wanted to take care of me. He never did marry anyone else. He was a good man and I think I passed up a good thing. But that is hindsight. Thunder getting closer so need to sign off..

Hope you have those few nice days.
We have sunshine!! It's supposed to be sunny all day, warm (80) and reeeeally humid. But no rain, thankfully.

I told DH to go find someone his own age when he was in pursuit, but time that could have been spent playing the field in his mid 20s he spent driving to my house to hang around. He grew on me :lol: Proved to be different from 99% of guys I'd dated (once married) before. Swore I'd never get married again, and here we are, creeping up on 20 years. He's got a little snow on the roof now, we look about 'even' in age. Outside of a few historical references that are more a function of where & how we were educated than of age, and his formerly questionable taste in music (that changed as he got older/wiser), misunderstandings are pretty rare.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

12 out of 30.... 40%

More deck stuff. We'll be working on it in June, some of our composite components are backordered. Gaah!!