Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:57 pm JUNE!!!

A new month to try not to spend through :lol:

Tomorrow, it'll rain - actually, it's going to start here any minute according to radar, but also tomorrow - and then Monday - Friday? Rain likely.

Rain tends to keep me home, though, and if I'm home - and DH is home - Lowe's profits and stock will drop for a bit.

I haven't been across the river in several days, DH says it's receding nicely. I hope we don't get so much that it reverses that trend.

Help, I have potatoes and garlic and don't want to make garlic mashed potatoes. Hmm. Some days I feel creative and some days...

Oh! I got a raise. I don't even have an active contract, just work 5 days a week and turn in my time, and lo and behold... I don't know why. It's not as though there are other companies breaking down my door trying to get me to go to work for them. I'm a bit past 'middle aged' with a really limited skill set. Didn't turn it down, mind you ;) Still have kids to put through college. DH will graduate with his masters 3 months before the first kid starts college; DH's schooling is paid for by his employer. The kids we want to try to put through loan-free, so they won't be in their 40s finalizing their schooling or paying anything down. Though I think it's been good for them to see how much he values the opportunity and works hard - straight A's. He says he was a screw up as a kid (not great grades, dropped out of his 19-year old bout of college), the idea of a masters with honors makes him laugh.
Sandi congrats on your raise. Shows that your a good employee and they want to keep you. I put myself through 2 years at community college to get an Associate Degree in Applied science. I worked the 3:00 PM to 11:30 PM shift at a hospital and went to school days. It was rough but I was happy with the way I managed things. Congrats to your DH too. Sometimes when you are young you do not understand the value of getting through school like you should. I was 25 before I went to college and was more determined to work hard at my grades also. Graduated with straight A's too.. I think it was due to being really interested in what I was going for Physical Therapist Assistant.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:58 am Not sure if you saw it on my posting yesterday but we are getting the smoke from Alberta, Canada..The sky was hazy yesterday and will be again today and they said it was due to the fire. Wish we could send you the rain it is out of control here and no break for the foreseeable future. I know when we had or summer house in Minnesota the forestry department would send out bulletins about the dryness and at times we could not even cut the grass for fear that a spark could ignite the dry areas and create a fire. Dad use to use a lake water pump to water the areas to try to keep things less flammable. Hope you get a break soon.
Sandi and Jackie sorry I hijacked your conversation. I forgot where I was and when I read send some rain I just automatically thought it was my thread since we have had so much rain.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:36 am Sandi and Jackie sorry I hijacked your conversation. I forgot where I was and when I read send some rain I just automatically thought it was my thread since we have had so much rain.
I'm pretty sure OK on the whole would LOVE to be able to ship some water to Canada. It's the logistics that stall the idea.

It rained a little this a.m., supposed to start up again Wednesday. I enjoy weather dot com's forecasts. When I checked at 7:35 a.m. we had a 20% chance of rain. Three hours later when it was clouding over? 60% chance. In the old days, we didn't get likelihood updates as the day went on. Whatever the morning weather guy said was the way it was :lol:

Not spending today....ah, never mind, yes I am, my Mom flies in tonight and I'll pay to park the car. Soooo close!!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:47 pm I'm pretty sure OK on the whole would LOVE to be able to ship some water to Canada. It's the logistics that stall the idea.

It rained a little this a.m., supposed to start up again Wednesday. I enjoy weather dot com's forecasts. When I checked at 7:35 a.m. we had a 20% chance of rain. Three hours later when it was clouding over? 60% chance. In the old days, we didn't get likelihood updates as the day went on. Whatever the morning weather guy said was the way it was :lol:

Not spending today....ah, never mind, yes I am, my Mom flies in tonight and I'll pay to park the car. Soooo close!!
Hope things go well with your DM. I know from previous conversations that your Mom and my Mom are/were difficult to get along with.. Good luck. Hope you have a nice visit and no problems.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

June has been a bust so far, I think I'm at 2 of 10... 20%

3.5 more days of familial visit to go. I love her, but our value systems are so far out of sync that there are times my jaw... just... :o and I wonder if I'm adopted.

The good news is we've had some gorgeous days weather-wise, sunny and mostly mild, and the bit of rain we did get, except for last Thursday p.m., has been just gentle, normal, rain.

Back to work today, thank goodness. At least it gives me something to concentrate on besides which DNA test is the most accurate :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

3 of 13.... 23% :shock:

Gorgeous day; kids are mowing. Not planning to spend a dime.

Oh, tomorrow is a spend day so may as well call it now: 3 of 14 21.4%