Daily check in June 9, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily check in June 9, 2019

Post by mbrudnic »

Good morning all,

It is rainy here too, but a nice cool temp, so I have my door open to the balcony. My herbs are growing well. DS1 was able to pick they boys up at about 2. They both did well at swim lessons. DGS5 is signed up for the summer session, but they are going to give DGS2 a break. He actually enjoys having his face int he water, but is not interested in kicking or scooping with his hands.

I plan to go walk the mall. I want to get steps in. I also need to study a bit for my ITIL cert exam tomorrow morning. Dinner will be Korean Bibimbap.

Have a great day,
Maggie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning again. I am getting ready to go outside and put down some sheets under the mulberry tree to catch them when they fall. I am going to shake the branches and hopefully that will make more of them fall.

I bought a Black and Decker electric broom/sweeper the other day from QVC and finally got it put together on Friday. It was incredibly easy to do just snapped the handle parts together and then snapped the handle on to the sweeper part. It had to charge for 10 hours before I could use it. So I was up early on Saturday morning like a kid with a new toy on Christmas morning. The thing is so light weight and it goes in all directions with ease. I used it on my hardwood floors in the kitchen and breakfast room then on to the Great room where I have Berber carpeting. It will go under low profile furniture like my hutch and china cabinet and under the couch. The true test was using it to go under a dresser in my bedroom which is cherry wood and very heavy. I had planned to take the drawers out of the dresser and then use my furniture jack and then put sliders under it to move it out to get the dust bunnies under there.. I was able to get under there with the electric broom without a problem. I have done it three times and each time the pan comes out with a lot of dust bunnies. I am going to do this until the pan comes out with little dust. If I were still working in rehab I would recommend this to patients who are having problem with their backs and other type of problems. One of the things that can cause a lot of problems for patients with back problem is sweeping with a broom and using the vacuum sweeper. The only problem I had was on a wool hand carved/sculpted rug in the kitchen. I need something thick like that to stand on to help reduce the stress of standing since I have severe arthritis throughout my spine. I think the slight uneven texture did cause a problem with the suction. I am not sure how it would work on regular carpeting but for me this is working out great. I can now use it for quick cleanup in the kitchen after doing food prepping.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama

I still sweep the old fashioned way, but do use a dust pan that has a long handle. It basically stands up

I had never used one before i met the COD and now cannot imagine using a regular dust pan and having to lean over and hold it that way.
rinty

Post by rinty »

Maggie, it sounds like the grandsons are at a really fun age, and its lovely you get to spend so much time with them.

Jackie, I agree with others it is a shame that you do not have another parish nearby, good for you for still doing as much as you do. I enjoyed seeing pictures of the Prayer Shawl ministry. It is something our schools church could do with taking on, I will mention it to the parish ladies as its a very appealing service project.

Cold and dreary here. I am absolutely FREEZING and as its June there is no way the heating is going on........I am snug in a big hoodie ;)

Foodwise, DH made both a flatbread with tomato, anchovy and cheese ( om, nom, nom ) and a loaf of ordinary bread.

I made brownie ( cos I could make it in my sleep ) but I did step up and attacked the veg rack and made a HUGE stockpot full of soup. We had potato, sweet potato, parsnip and leeks that needed USING UP , I used a chicken stock and a LOT of black pepper.

Gorgeous and just right on a cold day like this. There is a ton so it will go in the freezer as well as providing 2 lunches for us both this week. The weather forecast is rain, so I'll want something like that.

Still covering sickness so another week of long days. It will feel like I am part time once this stops !

Done some paperwork but was distracted by Craft Club prep, making 30 mini books with 12 x 12 paper . I would be ashamed to tell you how small a dent that makes in my CRAFT STASH, Suffice to say, I can't even tell its gone :shock: Some of this stuff goes back to the 1990s........

Pleased with the result though and I know they will be well received.

Yesterday I went to older DDs for lunch and she held my hand while I went to the hairdresser for a restyle ;) They won't dye it as my scalp is so inflamed ( note to self, go back to the doctor as the " natural remedies ain't working ) but apparently it looks like I meant to have an "ombre" style now.

Good :o

I cut half of it off, DH said it was more mature, which I think he thought was a compliment, it most certainly looks more STYLED, I had been going to a cheapo hairdresser but they couldn't cut for toffee and they (oddly enough) were more than willing to dye it, so it got over dyed and prob started the scalp irritation...............such is life. I've found a good hairdresser now and I am keeping her !

The weekend washing and ironing needs putting away and this weeks work bag packed. I have nothing extra other than the long hours and Craft Club this week. DS will be home at the weekend as it Fathers day but that is it. So this week ideally I can do an extra housework thing each night. Ideally 5 No Spend days beckon, the car has petrol and the kids all buy the fathers day gifts these days ;)

The Hnadmaids Take starts again tonight but I am taping it and then watching it and fast forwarding the adverts tomorrow. Such a good drama.

We have cut our TV/broadband/phone package to the bone and gone to a different provider. Ours kept going up by stealth :cry: WE watch the news , Netflix and I love strictly come dancing, it ain't worth what we were paying for . In fact the offer we chose is £40 a month less !!!!! Well done, DH negotiating skillz !!!!

Off to get stuff done and prob put on cozy PJs and socks...........is it really June ?????
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

oh oh - so it has now officially started

What to do with the house?

"lawyer" sibling called and is taking a poll. I said give it to younger brother. Yes he has issues, but he is very clean and tidy. He has already turned the outside of the house 180 degrees as far as neatness. They won't give him a key to go inside.

Some want to tear it down. Or sell as is.

Hope it goes his way.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Good afternoon everyone,

Finally some sunshine and warmth here. I actually dug out a pair of shorts to wear yesterday and have them on again today. My planted seeds still haven't germinated but it should be soon as I planted them on June 2nd. The flower pots are all planted now so my morning routine includes giving them a light sprinkle of water if there has been no rain. I'm also watering some patches of the lawn that dh overseeded.

Dh and I went for a bike ride this morning and it felt great to enjoy the sunshine. We didn't go that far as it's our first time out. Dh showed me how to use the bicycle pump so now I can inflate my own tires if they need it.

I have gotten quite a few cleaning tasks accomplished today. I cleaned the boot/shoe rack from downstairs where we store off season boots/shoes. I ended up throwing out two pairs of shoes and one pair of boots. They have served dd and myself well but it was time for them to go. I also cleaned out our main bathroom medicine cabinet - another job that had been put off forever. It contains all the toiletries dd and dh use. It's too bad they can't see the need for it to be cleaned, lol! I disposed of quite a few outdated creams, insect repellent and sunscreen. I think it's a good thing that I am in a de-cluttering mood as it gets to the point where you can't organize anymore. Yesterday I cleaned out the linen closet and disposed of two old sheet sets. I have also decluttered some old flower pots. It will be a challenge to keep our garbage down to the two bins that we are allowed. If I see a neighbour with only one bin. I may ask to put a garbage bag of ours out with it.

Now to get more seasonal summery clothes transferred over as we're finally getting some heat.

Creative