Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by SandiSAHM »

You got me thinking...

My husband... I love the daylights out of him but I'm pretty sure he's oblivious to the electric company and the bill related to them, or any other utility :lol: He doesn't even know how much he brings home each pay period. He knows how much he makes on the 'annual' scale, and what he's contributing to his 401(k), and he's really good with insurance-related stuff (which is good because I'm sooo not good at that), but net paycheck? He might venture a lucky guess. What I do with his paycheck? Well, the lights and water are still on and the wi-fi works so my guess is he figures I have it under control :lol:

Absolute trust is a nice thing but in the event I get hit by a truck, once every 4 months or so I email him a status report, how much everything is or has, and where it is. He doesn't really... care.

Which he should know is dangerous, he's had 2 friends whose wives ripped them off royally (one siphoned everything off while he was in the field working and left with all of it - and another man, and the other gambled everything they had away and left him in a ton of debt so he divorced her in order to have a chance to regroup (she had a TBI, she wasn't a gambler before that). Just trusting someone with your assets is not a great idea even if she is a boring homebody :lol:
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. I love the Frugalwoods! What a perfect site for me. They think like I think. Thank you so much!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

July, 0 for 2.

Friend of the family for.... wow, over 40 years, died. I can't say it was entirely unexpected, he'd been in and out of the hospital after some chemo had jacked him up but I for some reason thought it would take longer. In a way it's good, because he was not at all comfortable. Sent flowers, card, etc. His kids and I went to school together and his wife is the same nationality as my mother, they get on like sisters. His son died years ago in a motorcycle crash. < sigh > Really good people. He was, unlike my own Dad, really funny, considering they shared a lot of the same kind of history. My Dad was 1) older and 2) more low-key.

The last of the deck $$ has been spent. I think it's the last. We'll see what kind of tweaking July brings. DH will be gone part of next week so he's in the push, trying to get this thing done before he leaves town. While taking a summer class toward his masters and doing a bunch of stuff for church. Of course. The man never does ONE thing at a time.

I'm just holding down the fort. Work is slow this week, which is fine with me. Trying to plan it just right so the guys don't have to go in Friday. Think that might get me on a 'good' list :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

1 of 5.... 20%

It's a return day - some stuff has to go back to the deck supply place.

I went to Lowe's THREE TIMES yesterday. Twice by myself. At DH's request. It was a madhouse!!!

Got what he wanted the 1st time, what he said he needed the 2nd time, but when he saw the $ of what he needed he changed his mind and decided on something else so BACK we went... I like Lowe's but I'm a little bit weirded out by crowds and between the people and the merchandise movement on those big trolleys, that was not fun.

He and the kids worked on the deck last night well past the time we would have had to leave here to get to our 'favorite' regional fireworks display (they shoot them over a lake so you get the reflection, it's in a park with a picnic like setting so you're not crunched together, it's nice, but it's 40+ miles away. I was kind of bummed.

Turned out I didn't need to be. About 5 sets of people in the neighborhood behind us directly on the other side of the greenbelt shot off near-professional looking fireworks from dusk to about 11:45. It was AH-mazing! It was also right overhead and the smoke from everything was thick. The dog went nuts so we had to put her in the house but the rest of us just sat there on the 3/4 finished deck and watched, LOL. Better than a commute and having to get chemical-coated for mosquitoes. I hope they do it again next year :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

3 of 9... 33%

DH left town yesterday a.m. Haven't ventured out since. Don't need anything. Could probably stand to purge some stuff.

Work... is work. It's kind of our 'slow' season. Weird how its harder NOT to be busy than to be overly busy. There are irons in the company fire but they're all on a level I don't (thank you, God) get involved in. I plug my ears and hum, :lol:

I have a friend who used to work at the highest levels of corporations. He retired, got bored, and tried to fit in at a lower level of another corporation, just to have something to do with his time. He couldn't help but express his opinions and do some steering and bam, he wound up at the top level of... and quit (re-retired, :lol: ) because he realized he truly wanted neither the zoo nor the monkeys to be his problem. Gave himself over to volunteer work after that. Several of us have told him - you can consult without getting all up in... but he can't. He has no control when he sees room for improvement.

I just keep my head down, LOL. Every time my opinion is sought I remind people it's not MY business. I'll ask questions that help clarify, but an opinion? I am opinion-free. There's no emoji for stuffing a cork in it, but there should be.

Tomorrow, I imagine, will be another no-spend day. So, 4 of 10, 40%, not too shabby. DH will be back for the weekend. I pretty much live off garden produce while he's gone, its too hot to cook. I did hard boil some eggs at 11 last night. It had cooled off by then :lol:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

8 of 17... 47%

The deck is 95% done. We still have to do the skirting. Trex makes a "lattice" that will work with the rest of the coloration so we'll have to figure out, at the different elevations and corresponding slope of the yard, which size panels work best where. But the heat index is presently 109 degrees, so.... it can wait 'til fall :lol:

DH has summer school anyway, best he concentrate on that.

DD is doing test prep; ACT and SAT stuff. Bleh. I know I took the easy route in a lot of ways (honestly? I don't remember EVER taking the ACT. I'm not even sure they did that one in the 80s in NC) but all the stuff they expect a normal kid to know is not stuff that I, at fifty-<cough>, know. I'm not sure, some of it, that I EVER knew it :lol: And that hasn't really affected my working life one bit. A QC guy asked me an algebra question in 1991, (he started with "Hey, San... do you remember algebra?") he was trying to figure something out, I took him to an engineer, it took all 3 of us to get to the answer :? Just wasn't / isn't a focus in my working life.

She wants to go into a medically related field so the science, that I can see. But some of the math is just NUTS.

DH says it "separates the men from the....uh... the smart kids from the rest of the people." Nice save!