Does anyone use Hulo or Roku for their tv service

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Does anyone use Hulo or Roku for their tv service

Post by clemencia2us »

I'm tired of this DirectV thing

Thinking of getting one of these.

I do have a smart tv - still in the box - lol

Any opinions?
frugalaaron

Re: Does anyone use Hulo or Roku for their tv service

Post by frugalaaron »

Erin uses our Roku almost everyday. We have the Ultra model. It starts up fast, streams perfectly, and has a strong wifi antenna.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Clem,

We have Roku and love it. We watch Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime programming on it as paid services. We temporarily have CBS All Access until we catch up on a couple of shows.

We never run out of stuff to watch and get a much better class of entertainment for around $35 a month. We can't go to one movie as a family for less than that.
Mackie
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

I have Rokus on both TV's. I have Amazon Prime and subscribe to Philo (Philo.com) to get most of the cable TV stations I like.

My brother has a Plex server which serves up Movies and TV shows he has recorded using the DVR function. He records a couple of shows at my requests. He set up my Roku to access his server.

I also have an antenna. I am in the perfect position to be able to get over-the-air broadcasts from 2 cities that are 50 miles apart. So I have a lot of options.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

So to be clear,

A Roku is similar to Apple TV, Amazon's Fire Stick, Jackie's Android box, etc. These are devices you connect to your TV in order to to view streaming services such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, and other streaming services.

Roku and Hulu are different animals.

A computer or tablet can usually be used to access the streaming services.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

With a smart TV you should not need a Roky or another device-thats the point of the smart TV. Hulu is a streaming site just like amazon and Netflix and others. The apps are free to upload to your smart TV, or you can buy an Amazon fire stick and attach it on the back of the TV and then you can have as many streaming services as you want (all of which will cost money).

I personally do not find that much on Hulu although I did get free trial in order to watch the Handmaid's tale. If I only had one, I would have Netflix, but since I'll never give up Amazon free delivery I will always have two.