Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
2dogs+someCats

Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

Post by 2dogs+someCats »

What big "frugal decision making" have you had to engage in recently and how did you come to your decision?

So, in the last 4 months, I have had my front and back brakes redone and my exhaust system repaired on my car. This is to be expected - the car is almost 11 years old and has 92,000+ miles on it. And - cheaper than car payments.

There is a tiny amount of rust on the car but otherwise it really looks new on the outside. The interior needs a good cleaning - better than what I can do.

I did some research and the estimated resale value of the car is between $2,100 and $2,700 (it's a Nissan, they hold their value very well). I was toying with the idea of selling it outright to obtain a nice down payment on a 2017 or so Nissan (previous rental, low mileage).

After much weighing the pros and cons and going back and forth, I have decided to wait. I'm going to spring for a good professional detailing (includes extreme cleaning of the whole interior, tires and wheels, wash and wax) and keep on driving it - it's running great!

This has been a good, reliable car - it doesn't owe me anything. With the fact that I drive less than 2,000 miles a year now that I live in civilization (and this includes some work travel - sometimes I drive, sometimes I ride with someone else), I'm hoping for 3 more good years with this car. I feel like it's somewhat of a gamble but the decision is finally made and I'm glad.
Dgflorida

Re: Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

Post by Dgflorida »

I do this too. I think on something for awhile. Try to work out all the emotional baggage of buy, don't buy, frugal, wasteful, recycle, trash etc. I am glad you made a decision. Decisions eliminate stress.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sheila good luck. I have had a car that was 17 years and it was not until the last year that it really started to cost me money and I had a long drive to and from work. My brother finally got rid of his truck after 17 years and 300,000 miles. Yes it did need some repairs but still it worked for him for that many years.
Janet Alliesmama
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I've only had used cars with 170,000+ on them when I got them. Each lasted me several years.

I had my dad's Impala until a couple of years ago, when it finally gave up with 535,000 miles on it. His previous car was a Dodge Diplomat with 450,000 when it lost a bet with a deer, LOL
ohjodi
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I have rules for cars. If they cost more than my set repair figure in a year, I start looking. Lately, I have bought used cars from rental agencies. They lose a lot of value in the year or so they are driven and they are well maintained. I generally go 10 years or more. I don't drive much, so milage isn't the factor.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Mine is 10, has 121,831 miles on it, and better last another 10 years. It was 2 years old with 40,000ish miles on it when I bought it.

My goal - that 'another 10 years' - may not happen. She's burning oil. Not in a 'clouds of blue smoke' way, but in a 'can't see it as it burns... it's not on the garage floor... where is it GOING?!?' way. This has historically been the beginning of the end of a car for me, as soon as mysterious oil disappearance began, other problems followed. But I have to say this for it - in 8 years, I've done routine maintenance and replaced the tires, and once the battery. That's IT. DH does the oil changes and put new brakes on it, so my overall maintenance costs have been minimal. Thus, I'll keep it until maintenance ceases to make sense in comparison to replacement (with another 2-3 year old Camry, because I am a creature of habit).

I'm not a Mr. Money Mustache 'fan' for certain reasons, but he does have some interesting blog entries regarding buying cars, and in the sense of "let someone else suffer the depreciation," I agree with him.

My real problem now is DD will need a car soon. So I'll get her a 2-3 year old Toyota something, but I need to figure out how close I can get to "tank" - something that will protect her - without going broke. Love that kid. Used vehicles are expensive now. It's like they're onto us, :lol: