Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
colonialgirl

Re: Car Decision - the Verdict is In.

Post by colonialgirl »

Hubs small Nissan truck is a 1998 dealer demo car. It had less than 2000 miles on it when we bought it. It has needed a few repairs - the ac needed repaired a couple of months and now the windshield wiper fluid pump needs to be repaired - but it has 160k miles and it is perking along. Not one repair so far has come close to the cost of one month's car payment.

We personally prefer to buy new cars - but we drive them forever. We garage them and hubs is pretty particular about maintenance, so they last a long time. Our other car is 5 years old now and we will drive it as long as we can. Hubs would like a new truck - but my question is why if this one is running fine.
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

It can be a very difficult decision. I finally sold my 20 year old Acura as I thought it needed a costly brake repair and it had quite a bit of mileage. I ended up buying a Honda HRV and am very happy with it. First time I’ve ever had a brand new vehicle and actually only the fifth car I’ve owned in my life. I drove all my cars for many years.

I was actually emotionally attached to that Acura as both my girls virtually grew up in that car and learned how to drive. It ended up the new owner of my old car didn’t have to pay that much for repairs and he was thrilled to have a fully functional vehicle for $2000 Canadian which included the sale price and the repair. I was actually happy for him but made it very clear that the brakes needed attention and it wouldn’t pass the safety test as is.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Well, the car-buying decision was made for us when DH's car was totaled in an accident. We're the 'buy new and drive it nearly forever' types, so hopefully DH will get 15 years out of this car.

My car is at 11 years ... but it's had some very expensive repairs in that time (the electronic 'brain', transmission, CV boot on top of the usual maintenance) I'm worried about what major repair will pop up next and when ... thus I'm seriously considering buying a car within the next couple of years.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

colonialgirl wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:23 pm Hubs small Nissan truck is a 1998 dealer demo car. It had less than 2000 miles on it when we bought it. It has needed a few repairs - the ac needed repaired a couple of months and now the windshield wiper fluid pump needs to be repaired - but it has 160k miles and it is perking along. Not one repair so far has come close to the cost of one month's car payment.

We personally prefer to buy new cars - but we drive them forever. We garage them and hubs is pretty particular about maintenance, so they last a long time. Our other car is 5 years old now and we will drive it as long as we can. Hubs would like a new truck - but my question is why if this one is running fine.
He should keep that truck

BUT - let him get the new one too. A guy has to have his new truck. I know that sounds very unfrugal.
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Nooooo! Not happening Clem. I wanted him to have a very nice car when he retired since we have always driven smaller, economical ones. He wanted an SUV and that is why we got the Cadillac five years ago. So he has had his "dream car" experience. One per lifetime. Besides - why would we have 3 cars for 2 people?
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

I like to buy a brand new car and then drive it until the doors fall off. Full disclosure- I drive a LOT. Our current vehicles- a 2002 with 229k miles and a 2013 with 170k. I have them detailed once a year- usually when I am wanting to buy a new one. It makes them “feel” newer if that makes sense. I am considering trading both of my SUV’s in on a more economical to drive vehicle. I no longer live where there’s a lot of snow so I don’t really need 4WD and both kids are in college, so no need for a lot of seating either.