Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Our 2019 No Spend Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Breakfast was old fashion oats 1/2 cup which equals one cup cooked. Added a tablespoon of raisins and cinnamon. Then just before eating it I added a few chopped walnuts. I am trying to put more fiber in my diet to lower my cholesterol since I cannot take statin's due to sever muscle pain when I try them.

Lunch was part of a can of canned chili with toasted corn tortilla shells dipped in to the chili sort of like nachos. Also added some shredded cheddar cheese. Had a half cup of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon of blueberry jam added.

Dinner was a single serving of BBQ chicken that I made a while back with some leftover chicken and homemade Arby's BBQ sauce. I ate that on a gluten free bun that had been cut in to fourths. Also had a pickle from Dollar Tree. I used my air fryer to make some french fries. They were from Dollar Tree. This trying to price a meal is going to be a bit harder than I thought.. Oh well I will see how things go. Need to figure out a system on how to figure it out..lol.
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wow. I think I need to start measuring how much I eat. I could stand to lose a few pounds. Looking forward to seeing how you price a meal.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:08 am Wow. I think I need to start measuring how much I eat. I could stand to lose a few pounds. Looking forward to seeing how you price a meal.
Thanks me too..lol. The problem is integrating current foods with things that are already opened and being used.

It will take a while to get things organized the way I want to but I think it is going to be fun. I use to work in a stroke/neurological unit. It was physically and mentality challenging and you never knew what the day was going to be like. I enjoyed it a lot. I miss the challenges so need to create something to challenge me now. I am 74 and my former Medical Director and I have the same date and year of birth. I see him every so often and ask him when he is going to retire.. Never.. he too likes the challenges. He said sitting around the house would drive him nuts.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm Breakfast was old fashion oats 1/2 cup which equals one cup cooked. Added a tablespoon of raisins and cinnamon. Then just before eating it I added a few chopped walnuts. I am trying to put more fiber in my diet to lower my cholesterol since I cannot take statin's due to sever muscle pain when I try them.

Lunch was part of a can of canned chili with toasted corn tortilla shells dipped in to the chili sort of like nachos. Also added some shredded cheddar cheese. Had a half cup of plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon of blueberry jam added.

Dinner was a single serving of BBQ chicken that I made a while back with some leftover chicken and homemade Arby's BBQ sauce. I ate that on a gluten free bun that had been cut in to fourths. Also had a pickle from Dollar Tree. I used my air fryer to make some french fries. They were from Dollar Tree. This trying to price a meal is going to be a bit harder than I thought.. Oh well I will see how things go. Need to figure out a system on how to figure it out..lol.
When I used to figure out the cost of a meal, I would first figure out the cost per cup of the main ingredient then I would have a price. It gets much harder figuring out the cost per tsp of spices so I kind of guesstimated those costs.

So if in a box of say, pasta there were 5 cups and the pasta cost me $2.00, the price per cup would be $0.40. Figuring out half cups and 1/4 cups after that is easy.

Now I more or less just estimate.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 am When I used to figure out the cost of a meal, I would first figure out the cost per cup of the main ingredient then I would have a price. It gets much harder figuring out the cost per tsp of spices so I kind of guesstimated those costs.

So if in a box of say, pasta there were 5 cups and the pasta cost me $2.00, the price per cup would be $0.40. Figuring out half cups and 1/4 cups after that is easy.

Now I more or less just estimate.
Thanks Jackie. That is my plan. My problem is that I am currently using things that are open and not sure of their price. I am phasing them out. I am trying not to use new purchases until I have a lot of the previous opened product used up. I just hope I do not go to OCD with this project...lol.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

We went to my Drs office for my weekly B-12 shot and a mammogram. Thankfully they are in the same facility and you just have to walk across the lobby. However I did not eat before we went due to Teddi started throwing up while I was getting ready I had to stop and take care of him and thrn later make sure he went potty before we left. He refused to go earlier this morning so I had to go out with him to make sure he went. My aide suggested we go for breakfast since it was important for me to eat due to my diabetes. Although it was noon time so I ended up ordering lunch. Big mistake. We went to a Denny's and everything was more than what I wanted to spend money on. I did not see their value menu until we were finished eating. It was tucked in to a rack where they keep the condiments. The bill came to $10.34 but I had given my aide a coupon from the mail a while back and with our combined meals we were each able to take $2.50 off of our meals so then it came to $7.84. Plus a $3.00 tip. My aide did not leave a tip and I was ticked about that. She said she did not have any cash only her credit card. Duh I just gave you cash to pay my portion of the bill. I like to give waitstaff a little bit more in a tip because their pay is so low.

On the way home we stopped to pick up a rotisserie chicken. Today was the last day to get double reward points for it plus I had $3.00 from a survey I did recently. So it came to $3.46 for 5 to 7 days of menu ideas. Have I mentioned I love chicken?...lol. . Updates to come after I decide what I will make with it. Then down the road we stopped at Aldi's for eggs. They were still .58 cents a dozen. So I bought 4 doz. They will work well with my future menu ideas. Of course I had to look around. Realized their 1/2 and 1/2 quart size is the same price as the pint size at my local store and Ruler. So bought a carton. Added a few canned goods that I had planned on buying at Ruler but they were the same price so bought them there. My aide was also shopping for herself and asked if I could use some potatoes. She said she will not use all of them before they go bad so I told her to give me a few. She gave me a little over 2 lbs of red potatoes and would not take any money for them. She said you are always sharing things with me. We had about a 75 mile trip today and arrived home just 10 min before she was to clock out.
I fed Teddi and he gobbled it down and seemed ok. I stretched out on the couch and had a 30 min nap. I woke up to the sky getting darker so decided to take Teddi out for a walk to make sure he went potty. When we came in I put him in his blanket nest on my bed and was working on my computer and he started to barf again. This time he had a full tummy and it was a mess. I have had to strip the bed down to the mattress pad and will wash everything including the mattress pad and his blanket nest. Poor little guy I hope he is not coming down with pancreatitis again. I still have a ton of laundry to do tonight since that kind of thing cannot wait due to the smell and stain factor. I love my ecoegg to do laundry but keep a bottle of detergent on hand for things like this. I do not want to expose the ecoegg to crud. I am concerned some of it might some how work in to the egg.

I have bought a lot of food for stock up and immediate use so feel very good about things. Just need to organize my menu plans with the food I have on hand.
Janet Alliesmama