Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2019: Wow This Is A Challenge!

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pmShe will most likely look back and remember the present as something special in her life.
And she'll think it often, because when she moves out, it's going with her :lol:

Well, the dreaded time is here. At the end of the month DD will be on the insurance as a full-fledged driver, with all the excess $$$$ that entails.

Unless it turns out she can't parallel park when she's nervous :shock: She seizes up a little at the start of any test. Once she's in the thick of it she's okay, but her 'start testing' switch is wonky.

I'm nearing my mid-50s and I have NEVER parallel parked between 2 cars. In the state where I learned to drive it wasn't a required skill to be licensed, and when parallel parking has been required in an area there has thusfar always been a spot that could be pulled into directly. I know the lack of the skill will get me one day, but not so far. :D
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:32 pm And she'll think it often, because when she moves out, it's going with her :lol:

Well, the dreaded time is here. At the end of the month DD will be on the insurance as a full-fledged driver, with all the excess $$$$ that entails.

Unless it turns out she can't parallel park when she's nervous :shock: She seizes up a little at the start of any test. Once she's in the thick of it she's okay, but her 'start testing' switch is wonky.

I'm nearing my mid-50s and I have NEVER parallel parked between 2 cars. In the state where I learned to drive it wasn't a required skill to be licensed, and when parallel parking has been required in an area there has thusfar always been a spot that could be pulled into directly. I know the lack of the skill will get me one day, but not so far. :D
I only parallel parked for my test. Never managed to do so before or after. I will walk 5 blocks before I parallel park.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

DD is now a contact lens wearer after 10 years in glasses. We'd have gone this route sooner but I didn't think she was up for it. You know how some kids are just super sensitive? This one, when she was two, would take off her shoes and socks if there was a thread between her toes and make me cut it. We're talking SMALL threads. She's always been totally in tune to anything that's "off." It's day two and she managed to keep them in 5 hours. Pretty good considering that yesterday one of her pupils dilated to HUGE proportions all by itself (the eye doctor, when I called, "Yeah, that happens sometimes, it'll be okay"). Today, all dilation remained normal. Whew!

Things sure have changed. When I wore contacts they had to order them, I had to wait, and they were meant to last. Now? They're IN STOCK in his office, and they're either single day or monthly disposables. Very weird. We went monthly.

Had to buy the boy jeans and shirts to fit his giraffe-like limbs. He keeps growing out of stuff.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

New furniture is IN. What a relief! I appreciate the patio furniture but indoors? Not so much. This stuff is sooooo comfy. Looks good, too. My buyer's semi-remorse is gone. DH is happy with it. Kids don't come anywhere NEAR the living room with food (they don't generally break that rule anyway but now there's not even the THOUGHT of it :lol: )

Still working. Kids and DH still schooling (he works, too, way more than I do, his energy level is a sight to behold). LOVE THE WEATHER!! In the 70s this week, and the 40s at night. Almost but not quite AC-use free, I need it at night or my asthma freaks out.

We're 20 days into October, ~ 7 of those were no spend, so all in all, not terrible. Not great by any stretch, but not terrible.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm New furniture is IN. What a relief! I appreciate the patio furniture but indoors? Not so much. This stuff is sooooo comfy. Looks good, too. My buyer's semi-remorse is gone. DH is happy with it. Kids don't come anywhere NEAR the living room with food (they don't generally break that rule anyway but now there's not even the THOUGHT of it :lol: )

Still working. Kids and DH still schooling (he works, too, way more than I do, his energy level is a sight to behold). LOVE THE WEATHER!! In the 70s this week, and the 40s at night. Almost but not quite AC-use free, I need it at night or my asthma freaks out.

We're 20 days into October, ~ 7 of those were no spend, so all in all, not terrible. Not great by any stretch, but not terrible.
Sandi congrats on the new furniture. Glad the weather has changed in your area. It makes a big difference in my energy level.. Not sure if you feel the same way?
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

I'd probably feel way more energetic given that it's fall if it weren't for 2 things:

This job is killing me. It's literally like "herding squirrels" (picked that up from someone who used to post at About, it's SO on-target for this work), and I'm old enough to know we don't actually need squirrels, we need good, well-trained hunting dogs. Creatures that do what they're told.

Don't get me wrong, squirrels have tons of get up and go. It's that they have no idea where the heck they're supposed to be going! Some seasoned pros who know their goal... is it too much to ask?

Aaaaand... After yeeeears of fighting my genetics, I'm finally diabetic. It's not dietary, it's not for want of trying, it's both parents, and now here it is. I'm kinda sad. More peeved, though, and those emotions sap me of energy. Metformin is a gut-killer, apparently, I feel like I swallowed a basketball, it's so bloating. The dr. says that's 'normal' and will go away.

I wish it were dietary, I could fix that. But I sure staved it off for a long time.