Time Saver in Cleaning

Wow us with your best money-saving tips.
littlemiss63

Time Saver in Cleaning

Post by littlemiss63 »

As all of you know I have been looking for ways to make my cleaning chores easier. Well, I found another one for my refrigerator. Last summer I bought 4 square plastic place mats for the patio in a pretty indigo blue. I didn't like them because they looked so cheap, but I didn't return them for some reason. The last time I cleaned my refrigerator drawers I got the bright idea that if they would fit in the drawers. that instead of having to remove the drawers to wash, that the mats might protect them. It worked. Today I was able to remove them and did an easy wipe down with vinegar and water to the drawers. Washed my mats, dried them good and pronto I was finished. Easy peasy! I already am using clear plastic containers to store jars, produce and eggs in and that has been a god-send. I learned that on YouTube from Nikki.

The mats, 12x12 fit perfectly in 2 drawers and the third one slopes a little, but it worked in that one too. At $1.00 each, when they get cruddy I can toss. If I find them this summer I will buy a couple more sets. You could use place mats but they are much more expensive.

Has anyone else done this? I know I can't be the only one in the world who has, I'm just slow at figuring things out once in awhile. :lol: :lol:
SandiSAHM

Re: Time Saver in Cleaning

Post by SandiSAHM »

It's pretty rare to have anything in there that'll get gunky, but if there's risk of it I do something weird - I put it on a plate / platter / in a bowl. Once the thing is gone, the dish gets washed. Easy.

Nothing goes in the drawers that isn't either contained in something else (now this is probably something I do 'wrong' - I wasn't raised with anything 'open' or loose in refrigerator drawers, so seeing ads where the, say, peppers are in a drawer, unbagged, just baffles me - are you 'supposed' to put things in there unbagged? I was taught that the refrigerator desiccates stuff, and I don't want my peppers desiccated). By default there's never meat of any kind (vegetarian) in there, which is why the ad with the FULL fish, on a plate, uncovered, in a refrigerator... isn't that 'bad' for the flavor / texture of the fish (to say nothing of the smell in the fridge)?

Ah, well.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:27 pm It's pretty rare to have anything in there that'll get gunky, but if there's risk of it I do something weird - I put it on a plate / platter / in a bowl. Once the thing is gone, the dish gets washed. Easy.

Nothing goes in the drawers that isn't either contained in something else (now this is probably something I do 'wrong' - I wasn't raised with anything 'open' or loose in refrigerator drawers, so seeing ads where the, say, peppers are in a drawer, unbagged, just baffles me - are you 'supposed' to put things in there unbagged? I was taught that the refrigerator desiccates stuff, and I don't want my peppers desiccated). By default there's never meat of any kind (vegetarian) in there, which is why the ad with the FULL fish, on a plate, uncovered, in a refrigerator... isn't that 'bad' for the flavor / texture of the fish (to say nothing of the smell in the fridge)?

Ah, well.
My sticky gunk comes from turning jars upside down to get the last smidgen out of a container. I probably just need to make sure the lids are on there securely. My last disaster was a jelly jar. I have never kept veggies in the bag when I store them in the refrigerator so I've learned something new to maybe try. Never never would I store meat uncovered in the refrigerator, I think if it had been cooked it would dry out very quickly. Living alone I prep and freeze meat to put in the freezer as soon as I get it home, for most of the time I'm buying in bulk for the cost savings.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I get gunk in my veggie and cold cuts drawers, even though I leave stuff inside bags. So I'm going to look for those place mats, Libby, if I ever go to a dollar store again. (Only halfway joking)
Patty