Daily Check-in Jan 22, 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
RedRobin

Re: Daily Check-in Jan 22, 2016

Post by RedRobin »

Good morning.
We are expecting the snow some time tonight or tomorrow morning. We are on the edge that could get maybe 6-8 inches. You never know though. It's more the blizzard conditions with the heavy winds that could be the problem. I live in a tree area, loads and loads of huge old trees.
We have milk, which is mostly all I care about during these storms. Have to have my coffee and won't drink it without milk.
Sunday should be a shovel out day. After the shoveling I had to do last year, I am not looking forward to it.
Had the last of my "Bear Mush" that I got from Amazon with a gift card. It is a cheaper version of farina. I had free milk and free coffee at work. Lunch is free pizza left over from a work lunch we had on Monday. The company paid for our lunches since we worked the holiday... I also have the last piece of cake that DGD-5 made for Christmas. Anything that didn't get eaten went into the freezer, including the crackers.
DH-69 who has been retired for 5 years now and not all that well will eat up whatever is left in the refrigerator, including the ziti from a work lunch last Friday. Then I'll start tomorrow pulling out smallish containers from the freezer and make some meals for the coming week.
I am enjoying the posts but am still having trouble getting into the habit of posting.
RedRobin
colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

Morning all,
hAve not checked in for a while. Just have not been feeling well. Not sick, just blah and totally without energy. Sometimes I think I have SAD and that combined with holiday let down and the ever present family problems take it's toll.

Yesterday was a little better and I got up and worked on some kitchen cleaning. I do despise cleaning my oven racks though. Probably should do it regularly and it would not be such a chore.

Penny, so glad your surgery is over and you are doing so well. To all you dealing with sickness and loss of little animals, you and they are in my prayers. Thank God your furry family has family that cares for them and sees to their needs. I am telling you those Humane Society commercials on Sundance channel are about to put me in the ground. I would take them all if I could.

Well today is a cooking day. I have a ham to use up and/or freeze. So I am making ham pot pie for supper. I just started making homemade pot pies and we loved when I make it with chicken. So with ham I am going to use potatoes, mushrooms and cauliflower and broccoli. I hope the broccoli is not too overpowering. If it turns out as well as the chicken one did, I will make up a couple for the freezer. Also going to make split pea soup and a crockpot of beans and ham, both to be frozen for future meals. May look up some new casserole recipes to use up the rest. Also going to grind up the bits for ham salad.

Well off to get started. I believe it was Mackey who said Eternity is two people and a ham. Truer words were never spoken.

Have a happy day all.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Colonialgirl, I'm sorry you are feeling blah. You have been through the wringer since about Thanksgiving, not counting your husband's surgeries, and it does catch up with a person. {{{hugs}}}

An inexpensive SAD lamp is to put a full spectrum bulb in your favorite reading lamp and sit under it reading in the morning. We did this for DS when he was in high school and was diagnosed with SAD.

I have been to Save-a-lot this morning to pick up the few things we absolutely must have. Sometimes I think this family runs on cheese, what with the amount of it that gets consumed!
Mackie
BeckyO

Post by BeckyO »

Afternoon Y'All,

It is cold (for us) here. 34 F with a wind chill of 24 F. That is 30 degrees colder than it was yesterday at this time. We have had wintery mix ie rain, hail, snow, and then snow flurries. The snow flurries will continue most of the afternoon. With the temp at 34 F of course it will melt. I have my heat and AC turned off with the living room window open. With the neighbors' heat all on high it is comfortable.

I wanted something warm for breakfast. I had oatmeal boiled in reconstituted non-fat powdered milk with golden raisins, served with hot coffee and cold apple juice. I had planned to have that for awhile, so last night I put all the ingredients on the counter next to the stove. I enjoyed it.

I still have half of a cooked chicken quarter. Think I will make some rice and gravy to go with French style green beans, and homemade biscuits. ice tea or lemonade ? hmm..

I spent some time this morning making notes on some of my genealogy entries. Most of the notes are memories, particularly of my paternal grandparents. I also watched some painting and quilting shows on Create this morning. They always inspire me.

I plan to go check my mail and socialize for a while. my phone should be charged enough to take it. Then I will put another coat on my painting. The one I put on should be dry by now. I need to finish watering my plants.

All this weather is good.. no go, no spend days : )
Last edited by BeckyO on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

It is nice and sunny, but I am cold!

Still not 100%, so I'm just relaxing in bed. Supposed to get colder tonight. You know, it's probably going to be in the low 60s, but I am freeing.

Was going to go to a high school game tonight, but I better not. Don't want to spread my sickness around.

Have a great day all.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Maggie, So sorry to hear about DS1 getting laid off. Hopefully it will be a short one...still. not easy.