My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:59 am Janet, I am sorry you had trouble sleeping. I was up right around the time you posted - Lucy thought it a good time to ask for a treat - the answer was NO - I give that dog a treat in the middle of the night and I will never sleep again!

You have been busy! I enjoy reading about your "frugaling" - thanks for all of the inspiration!

Teddi played the same game with me last night. He went out at 8:00 PM, 10:00 PM and then 11:00 PM. I told him no more treats at 11:00 PM.. He is good about never going potty in the house so thought maybe he was having a problem but no he was on a roll conning me out of treats lol. Usually he will go out between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM and settle down for the night. It is tough love to say NO to them since they look so cute, adorable, and hopeful. My niece, who is not a dog person but loves cats, calls Teddi a "little angel" He really is a sweet little dog but he does have his moments..lol.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am Teddi played the same game with me last night. He went out at 8:00 PM, 10:00 PM and then 11:00 PM. I told him no more treats at 11:00 PM.. He is good about never going potty in the house so thought maybe he was having a problem but no he was on a roll conning me out of threats. lol. Usually he will go out between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM and settle down for the night. It is tough love to say NO to them since they look so cute, adorable, and hopeful. My niece, who is not a dog person but loves cats, calls Teddi a "little angel" He really is a sweet little dog but he does have his moments..lol.
Agreed -- the tough love is hard - even in the 2:00 a.m. hour.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:00 pm Agreed -- the tough love is hard - even in the 2:00 a.m. hour.
I saw where I wrote threats instead of treats subluminal thinking? Give me a treat or I will potty in the house.. lol. I really need to proof read things before I post them..

Yes at 2:00 AM you want and need to be asleep. So no treats.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My challenges are getting more challenging. We have snow falling and a freeze warning so I can pretty much say goodbye to the fruit from my fruit trees. I have 3 peach trees, one pear, and one apple tree all in full to partial bloom. Last year one of my resident squirrels, Dennis the Menace, or it could have been Denise, striped my apple tree of almost every apple before they could mature enough to be picked. I had plans to put stove pipes around the trunk of the tree to prevent that from happening but looks like I will not have to go to that expense. I even bought an apple picker basket this year so that I could reach the apples higher up. Bummer.

Still trying to keep the food expenses as low as possible due to the extra cost for car repairs that I had not planned on. Today I decided to eat cold cereal instead of oatmeal or a hot breakfast and opened a bag of cornflakes. Normally I do not eat them due to they are high carb. I had purchases them to make "fried" chicken in my air fryer. However forgot I am out of milk so had to use my coffee cream. It turned out to be very tasty although very rich. I threw in some walnuts since I am trying to add them to my diet to help lower my cholesterol. Lunch was a salad with a lot of little bit of this and that left in the fridge like onion, tomato, green bell pepper, green olives, hard boiled egg, and mozzarella cheese. Used store bought Ranch dressing.

Tonight I am going to make potato pancakes using the last of the mashed potatoes. I am going to sauté some onion from the fridge and shred cheddar cheese and include them in the mashed potato. Will use an egg and some potato flour as binders. Also will sauté some cabbage as a side and make salmon patties from canned salmon.

Teddi is eating salmon patties daily. I make them with canned salmon, egg, and bread crumbs and bake them. He really likes them and the fish oil will help with his skin problem. Today I am going to sneak some peas in to his portion. He still eats his baby carrots and when I still had some in the house he loved the outer edges of cucumbers. I do not allow him to have the seeds. I cut them up and put them in my salad or I eat them as a snack.

Just looked out the window and the trees, bushes, and grass are almost completely covered in snow. Pretty to look at but devastating to crops.
Janet Alliesmama
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

That salmon will be very good for his skin and his immune system. It's a natural anti-inflammatory. All the fish we feed Lily is why her skin and coat has looked so good, even though she's allergic to basically everything outdoors. Right now she's eating the pork kibble, but we still put a spoonful of mushed up mackerel on it for her.

The pollen is so bad this spring that Rosie Dog, who we joke is made of rubber and iron, is also licking her feet and rubbing her face. She's never been allergic to anything except figures of authority. :-D
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:42 pm That salmon will be very good for his skin and his immune system. It's a natural anti-inflammatory. All the fish we feed Lily is why her skin and coat has looked so good, even though she's allergic to basically everything outdoors. Right now she's eating the pork kibble, but we still put a spoonful of mushed up mackerel on it for her.

The pollen is so bad this spring that Rosie Dog, who we joke is made of rubber and iron, is also licking her feet and rubbing her face. She's never been allergic to anything except figures of authority. :-D
I had to laugh about Rosie Dog and her attitude towards figures of authority. Sometimes Allie, and now Teddi, will stare ahead like in a trance if I tell would her or him to do something they are not keen on doing. I will tell him, I know you know the words" lol. A while back I had gone to a river town and bought fish for my lunch that was too much for me to eat so brought it home for dinner. Teddi was begging for some so gave him some without the crust and he scarfed it down. That is why I started to make him salmon patties. He will not eat the salmon just out of the can even if warmed up but he likes the texture after it has been cooked and then cut up. Fortunately salmon is one of the things that I have an abundance of since I had been stockpiling if for long term storage even before the pandemic hit. I have not been to Ruler since last April but when I go there in the near future I will start to restock. Their salmon is wild caught and very reasonably priced compared to other grocery stores. I have checked with the salmon industry and canned salmon is good at least 10 years past their use by date.
Janet Alliesmama